Deepanam is a primary and middle school (ages 7 to 14 years) which serves the community of Auroville. Priority is therefore given to children of aurovillians and newcomers.
Space permitting, admission can be offered to children of pre-newcomers and volunteers of Auroville, who are committed to staying in Auroville for minimum 1 year. This is to allow for the schooling of children of parents who are in the process of discovering and/or joining Auroville.
Currently, the school is divided into 4 class groups each having students from two grades together. Thus, Light group has grades 1 and 2, Peace group has grades 3 and 4, Grace group has grades 5 and 6 and Faith group has grades 7 and 8. We accommodate a maximum of 18 students per class group and process applications on a first come, first serve basis.
For non-Indian Nationals (not aurovillian or newcomer)
For your child to be considered for admission to Deepanam, you need to be either:
- contributing to Auroville through volunteering - in which case you will have an 'Entry' visa (type 'X') organised through the volunteer procedure with Savi) and committed to staying in Auroville for minimum one year, or
- pre-newcomer - in which case you will have an 'Entry' visa (type 'X') organised through the procedure of joining Auroville as organised with the Entry service.
Please note: it is not possible to accept children of parents who are in India on a 'Tourist' visa.
For Indian nationals (not aurovillian or newcomer)
While Indian nationals do not need to obtain a visa to be in Auroville, for your child to be considered for admission to Deepanam, you will need to be either: :
- contributing to Auroville through volunteering and committed to staying in Auroville for minimum one year. Volunteer places can be organised through Savi or directly with the Auroville unit, or
- be in the process of becoming a newcomer, and to be committed to staying for a minimum of one year.
School admission dates
The academic year runs from the start of July to the end of April. There is a 2 month summer holiday (May and June). The school calendar for 2018 – 2019, can be consulted for further precision on dates.
New students may start school at two dates in the year: beginning of July and beginning of January. We cannot allow students to start school at other times of the year because this becomes disruptive for the teachers and the group dynamics.
The deadline for admissions are 15 December for January start and 15 April for July start.
Other points to consider:
- Before admission can be considered, we request that the child and parents meet with the teacher and come to visit the school. This is an important part of understanding whether Deepanam school is suited to the child and family.
- To help us provide our best for your child, please inform us if he/she has an IEP (Individualised Education Plan) or any special needs.
- We request that the student to be admitted speaks sufficient English to be able to integrate rapidly into the class. Teachers may request that students attend further language support classes, organised outside of school, if necessary.
- Once the child is admitted, we like to consider the first 3 months as a trial period which allows for both the student and the teachers to establish if Deepanam is the right school for them.
You will need to provide the following information:
- Child's full name
- Parents full names
- Child's date of birth
- Previous schooling details
- Dates of Arrival in Auroville
- Date of departure from Auroville (if known)
- Place of work in AV or volunteer position
- Visa type
Other useful information:
Auroville 601 101 – Tamil Nadu, India
SAVI – volunteering and internships in Auroville
Auroville 605101 – Tamil Nadu, India
Tel: 0091 (0)413 262 2121