About the school
Deepanam School started in 2006 based on the Educational system outlined by Sri Aurobindo and The Mother. The whole emphasis is on the integral development of the child in all its aspects. We are inspired by the Sri Aurobindo Ashram International Centre of Education ( SAICE) and we aspire to achieve the ideals the Mother has explained for the educational activities in Auroville.
We envision Deepanam as an experimental school for children aged 7 to 14 years old. We provide an educational environment and an atmosphere where children can progressively learn how to be responsible for their progress and harmonious development. The approach is therefore not merely academic but dynamic and integral.
Guidelines for admission
Our priority is to offer this program to students who are children of Auroville, Newcomers and children from families who are willing to join Auroville and are already following the process with the Entry Group. We do consider requests for admission from long term guests associated with Auroville in some way. The minimum period of commitment is six months.
All requests for admissions will be discussed within our team and presented to the School Board of Auroville before any agreement is made.
In case of admission for guest children we would like to emphasize few points:
- The children who are joining the school are first in our “welcome group” for a certain period of time before being integrated into our regular classrooms. This time in the welcome group is meant to integrate the children smoothly into the school and help them feel comfortable in the Auroville environment.
- For the child to be integrated in a regular classroom we need to have six months commitment from parents. This integration is made gradually and only if there is a place in the class. The teacher has to be fully satisfied that this change can be effective both ways- the class and the child as well.
- We do request that the child has to have some basic English for better integration in the school and with the teacher and the other children.
- We have a trial period for the child. Deepanam reserves the right to stop the child if the team agree that for some reason the child doesn't fit in the school or is a disturbance for the other children.
- In case you do come back to Auroville you have to request a new admission as we do not guarantee that a place will be available in the future. The priority is given to children of an Aurovillian or Newcomer.
For more details about admission please see our Admission Policy
The Auroville schools are supported by the Auroville community. The parents of non-Aurovilian children are expected to give a financial contribution of 8000 rs/monthly per child. This school contribution is made at the Financial Service into the school participation account. We do request the parents to pay in advance 3 months. (The same amount has to be transferred even if the child is absent for whatsoever reason as well as in the month of short time holidays. Except for the 2 month of summer holiday -May/June)
Phone: + 91 0413 2622450
|1st and 2nd year||3rd year forward|
|Morning - from 8:20 to 12:30||Morning -from 8:20 to 12:30|
|Afternoons - from 1:15 to 2:15||Afternoons -from 1:15 to 3:15|
|Physical Education – from 2:30 to 3:30||Physical Education - 4:00 to 5:15|
Our Physical education is held at Dehashakti center of Physical Education situated in Dana, the AV cultural zone. Since 1991 Dehashakti has been working on a program offering children a place to play, learn and grow in an environment designed for an integral physical development.
Deepanam is one of the 6 Auroville schools attending Dehashakti Program.
The aim of the programme is to cater to an integral, methodical and harmonious development of the body by offering children a weekly schedule that provides all the fitness needed. Nurturing a joyful and balanced growth. Children are exposed to games, swimming, athletics and gymnastics which provide ample variety and richness.
We request the parents to send their children wearing sports shoes, shorts and T-shirt.
All the children attending Deepanam School must attend Dehashakti sports program for it is part of integral development and an important aspect of the integral education we aim to offer in our school.
We hope for a fruitful collaboration and growth all together!